Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Corporate Challenge 2011

My first so-called marathon experience. Ok, so it's not really a marathon, because the distance we ran and walked in-between (it was Hot and Humid and plus the crowd...and a whole lot of other reasons!) was just 5.7 kms.

Everything aside, it was a fantastic evening. For the first time since I came here, not only our entire team, but also the entire office was empty by 5:00 PM. All the serious runners, got changed into the black and green JPMC t-shirts and were out by 4:30 pm. We started at around 5:30 pm and got into the bus that took us all the way from Capital Tower office to the esplanade bridge. The sight that welcomed us was amazing! Blue and silver balloons floating up and the bridge itself flanked by banners and posters was enough to inspire the laziest person to run, just to be a part of it.

The roads were partly cordoned off for the run, and there were people running to warm up and some of them walking down towards the starting point. The colors and the t-shirts were all awesome, all these companies getting together to run for a greener tomorrow! (that was the tagline.)
The CISCO t-shirts were the most vibrant and colorful of the lot, plain white but sprinkled with rainbow colors, and not surprisingly, they did end up winning the best t-shirt design contest at the end of the show.


I wasn't feeling too well, so I had decided to walk, but just being there fueled me with so much energy and excitement that I ran and kept running till i reached the finish line at the F1 pit. I made it in a not-so-bad time - 52.04 mins including the water breaks. So yayy me!

The after party at the hospitality tent was nice, not as happening as i had thought it would be, but food was very welcome after the tiring run and so were the drinks. The white wine as quite nice and a couple of pints of beer later, as I chatted and laughed with my colleagues and new found friends, I had the peaceful air around me of a day well spent, looking forward to the lazy long weekend that was to follow.
I would recommend it to everyone. At least once in your life, you have to participate in a marathon. It's fun, liberating and above all it's an experience like no other.

No comments: