Sunday 28 August 2011

It's a dog's life

I love the stationary shops and can spend hours in one. 
When I got my bedroom renovated, I spent quite a huge amount of time (and a teeny bit of money, alas!) picking out bits and pieces to liven up my room and shelves. I was looking for a whiteboard with a marker that I could hang on my door just like the one that Joey and Chandler (from the hit TV series F.R.I.E.N.D.S) have.
If you ask me why do I need one, I do not have an answer. I did not have an answer when I was looking for it, but hey, it's my room and if I want a whiteboard with a marker and eraser and I am going to get myself one. Period.

So one evening, my flatmate and I head out to watch a movie (Captain America in 3D) and the only decent seats we get is for the 12:00 AM show. So we decide to utilise the couple of hours we have raiding the only shops in the vicinity that are open, followed by a dinner at burger king.
That's when I spot this ultra cute whiteboard. It's actually a chicken with this bright yellow borders and it holds a marker in it's arms or wings, whatever you may call it. 
(Here's a picture of it hanging right beside my door all bright and cheerful :)




I am delighted as it's the only piece left and I instantly buy it. We raid a few other shops and I end up buying a charming Charles and Keith sandal in blue and brown, and a wrist support to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome due to over-using the keyboard and the mouse at work, and few other knick-knacks. All of it took about an hour and even burger king closes at 11pm, leaving us with an hour to while away.
We roam around for about 30 mins gossiping about the essential differences in the views of a guy and a gal in a relationship and why some work whilst others don't. Profound topic and a giggling duo obviously means no sane conclusions whatsoever.
Finally, we sit down right in front of an escalator in a green bench-type thingy.
My flatmate gets a call from her home at that point, and needless to say I am completely bored. So, I start to go through all my shopping. I try on the shoes and admire them for a long time.
 I remove the whiteboard from the packaging it came in and uncap the marker.
I wonder what to write under the tiny heart shaped box marked "memo". Hmmm... I could be staying in my dream house. I'll wake up early in the morning as my pet St. Bernard (I love dogs and the bigger they are the more adorable they seem to me) will lick my face and thump it's tail against me. And I'll get up with a smile, put on my designer tracks and shoes, switch on the coffee machine and take my dog out for a walk.  
Before I realise I am writing down "Walk the Dog" under the memo with a stupid smile on my lips. 
Just then a guy walks across us towards the elevator, and as he spots me with all the shopping bags unravelled at my feet, a shoe in my hand and writing "walk the dog" on a memo pad at mid-night, in a deserted shopping mall and he gives me a look that says "the girl is completely bonkers....run!". And he actually runs away.
At the same moment, my flatmate and I both realise how it all might have seemed to that stranger and start laughing and don't stop for a long long time. 

The chicken-whiteboard - 3.70 $
The expression on the guy's face? Priceless.

No comments: