Tuesday 23 August 2011

Soul and Music

Last Friday Singapore's own Suntec City Mall played host to the immensely talented Raahat Fateh Ali Khan.
I am a person who thrives on music. You can always hear me humming or singing and I am the kind who comes up with a song for every word or occasion. I seem to know the lyrics to all the Bollywood songs and famous ghazals and long story short - I love everything musical. So for me this was a much awaited event. 
I have watched Euphoria (An Indian band led by Palash Sen) and Sonu Nigam perform live. The moment I heard of this, I booked my tickets. I simply adored Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Saahab. I am using the longer version of his name because I feel the need to shower him with all the respect I can muster. I really believe he was blessed by God himself. The way he sang, with so much power and so much passion, it was always a pleasure to listen, to watch him and to hum all the songs that later on featured in Bollywood. 
He gave the music for "Aur Pyar Ho Gaya"and I love all the songs from that movie.
I was actually sad and felt a genuine loss when he passed away.
Then came along Raahat Fateh Ali Khan as the forebearer of the glorious musical gharana of Pakistan. 
I remember the first time I heard him was for the song "Garaj Baras" from the movie "Paap". I heard his voice blaring through the speakers of my TV and I was happily stunned. What amazing talent!
And then went on the strings of all the beautiful songs that tugged on my heartstrings and had me crooning.

And when I sat through his concert, it was as promised - "Simply Raahat". It was so overwhelmingly emotional for me that I cried through half of the songs.
One moment I was clapping and dancing to "Mera Piya Ghar Aaya" and "Allah Hu" and the next moment I had tears streaming down my face with "Ajj Din Chadheya" and "Teri yaad".
His rendition of "Ore Piya" had me dancing and swaying and I had to stop myself from breaking free and dancing across the auditorium to the stage and kissing the man.

The man. The voice. The Music.
What they say is true - Music is the language of souls. 
When you encounter the sheer power of pure unadulterated music, you transcend all earthly barriers and in that moment you are one with nature, one with God. That's why Sufi music is so divine and so profound. And I felt it on Friday - goosebumps, tears and all.

Simply Raahat? Simply Divine....

No comments: