Monday 19 September 2011

"Days"-section

'Don't count the days- make the days count' - goes the saying.
There are countless sayings that focus on every day, such as - "seize the day" or "save the day" or even "Rome wasn't built in a day".
After all, a day is the lego block of lives. So every day should ideally be just as important as any other.
But we have somehow classified days into categories. I was going through some article that actually said that 11 am on a Tuesday is the least productive time of a person's life.
And it got me thinking if it was just about a day and what it was named and the order in which it arrives that determines how it would go.
Why can't a Tuesday be just as awesome as a Saturday?

I was thinking all this on a Friday as I sat at my desk at work. I could see my colleagues dressed up in brighter colours(Yes, people always wear dressier clothes to work on fridays!) and suddenly I turned around and asked one of my colleague what was his favorite day of the week and he picked Friday.
I immediately made a office-communicator-poll out of it and 5 out of 8 picked Friday, 2 picked Saturday and 1 actually picked Sunday.
So the clear winner was Mr. Friday! (I just generally gave the days a male title and it means no offense to ladies, so all the feminists out there - steer clear!)

As my curiosity grew, I checked out on-line polls. 

Here are the stats :
     - Website 1
         Friday - 23%
         Saturday - 38%
       ** Clearly Saturday emerged the winner here and Friday came a close runner-up. The other days got measly percentages of votes and aren't worth mentioning.
     - Website 2
         Friday - 31%
         Saturday - 10%
       ** Clearly Friday emerged the winner here and Saturday came a close runner-up. There was a poll choice here called "Weekend" which got another 10% of votes and even then, Friday still takes the cake.                         
     - Website 3
         Friday - 26%
         Saturday - 20%
       ** Friday was the favorite here and apart from saturday the other days managed to rake up about 4 % altogether.

Now that I collected enough statistics to satisfactorily and safely infer that Friday was most likely to be the winner of the "Popular-Day Pageant", I couldn't help but wonder why.
I mean, ideally, it should be Saturday - it has got all the ingredients in it to be the winner.
a.) It is the first day of the weekend, so you don't have to go to work.
b.) Again, playing the first day of the weekend card means you don't have to worry about getting up early the next day and feel obligated to feel all charged up for the upcoming week.
c.) You get all the weekend action with bars and restaurants staying open until late.
d.) You can get up late and stay up late - just re-iterating a.) and b.)
e.) and a whole lot of etc. etc.

So why does Friday dominate the title?
I asked all the 8 of my friends who very sweetly did not wonder why I was asking them weird questions, and even if they did wonder, they did not call me "weird" on my face ;o) and let me know their thoughts.

The answers in no particular order (some omitted coz it was getting repetitive):

- I like Friday, because it is the last day of the week. I have the whole weekend to look forward to. Two days of relaxation and catching up of sleep. Even if the week has been crappy it still is the last day and so people are generally happy on a Friday.
- I like Friday. Well, maybe people choose Friday over Saturday because there is a sense of hope on a Friday. A lot of looking forward to the weekend. Saturday is already a weekend and then you know it's going to end.
- Friday is always fun because people are more relaxed at work and look forward for the day to end and party. You know you don't have to wake up early the next day.
- I like Saturday. First day of the weekend. You can get out of bed whenever you want. Spend the entire day with family and friends or alone and you don't have to worry about tiring yourself out or gong to bed  on time because the next day is Sunday and you can sleep in again.
- Sunday - Because Sunday is very peaceful. Saturday seems very rushed because we try to fit in everything that has to be done - kids, errands, shopping, housework. Sunday can be relaxed, can prepare for the next day.

One thing was very clear once I had heard all the opinions an views. Human nature thrived on "hope".
A certain "looking forward to" always has to be there for people to be happy.
Is it because life is turning out to be very monotonous and clockwork for everyone?
Most of us have jobs that we take up to earn money and support our lives. Some of us are fortunate enough, or may I say, courageous enough to have jobs that we love. Artists, media, accountants, whatever they might be, they love their jobs and what they do. But even for them, getting out of bed every single day and going to the same building and sitting at the same work station must get a tad repetitive at times, don't you think?
If not, the word "vacation" would not have made it to the dictionary at all.
Everyone needs a change once in a while. A challenge well done makes a day satisfactory. Pursuing a hobby or an interest helps bring a good end to an "alright" day.
We all need these little somethings to look forward to. Something that makes us move on and onwards.
Imagine, waking up and realising that there is absolutely nothing left in the whole wide world that you might look forward to. Would you even want to get out of bed?

I used to look forward to going to work when I started out. Now, I don't like my job as much, but thankfully, I have other things:

- I look forward to getting back home and sketching something new.
- I look forward to ideas that I might write about in this blog.
- I look forward to finishing up the knit-baby-bootie project that I have taken up - I will blog about that next.
(See - another thing to look forward to *grin*)
- I look forward to getting back to school to get my MBA.
- I look forward to having a family someday.
- I look forward to having a job that I actually and truly love.

And the list is long and un-ending and I am glad it is, cause that means I am set for a long-time and it will be a while before I have to worry about waking up purpose-less and life-less.

We all need a drive, a momentum to keep us going forward.
Even if it's as silly as a poll to pick out a favorite day and then dissect it to find out why.

So what's your favorite day and why?

         

No comments: