Monday 21 November 2011

Soy sauce chicken wings

You know how some people say they love to eat chicken? Well, I am more selective when it comes to chicken. I absolutely loathe chicken breast and find it chewy and difficult to swallow, no matter how well it is cooked. I always use the chicken leg for all my chicken curries because I find it nice and tender and juicy with lots of flavor.
But, then there are the chicken wings that have me salivating at the mere mention of the name. Be it in any form - breaded and fried, spicy buffalo wings, honey crisp, soy sauce – all of them spell y-u-m-m-y to me.
So this Saturday I went to the grocery mart and picked up a packet of mid-wings. They are not the entire chicken wing but are clipped at the mid-joint and look like this:

As soon as I got home I had this craving for soft melt-in-the-mouth chicken wings and decided to give it a try and make some myself.
And they turned out fantastic and just the way I wanted.
So, I am sharing this super-easy recipe (If I ever forget it, I know where to find it - right here on my blog:)
Ingredients:       

  • Chicken wings clipped at mid-joint – 6 pieces (you can use as many as you want – just adjust the sauce accordingly)
  •  Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
  •  Light soy sauce – 2-3 tablespoons
  •  Chinese cooking wine – 2-3 tablespoons
  •  Nando’s peri peri garlic sauce – 2 teaspoons (this is spicy so again use more if you want to spice things up) 
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil or olive oil. You could also use melted butter. 
  • Water   
Procedure:

  • Thaw (if required) and wash the chicken wings. 
  • Fill a small saucepan up to three quarter with water. 
  • Put it on a medium-high flame and add the soy sauce, the cooking rice wine, the peri peri sauce and the ginger garlic paste and stir .
  • Add the chicken wings and the teaspoon of oil (I use canola oil or olive oil for all my cooking). The oil is optional and you can skip it altogether. The chicken does release some oil when cooked.
  • Bring it to boil and cover it for about 7 mins. 
  • Then remove the cover and let the sauce reduce over the medium flame. 
  • It takes about 20-25 mins for all the water to evaporate and form a glazy sauce. Once the sauce is reduced …. Voila – you get your amazingly tender chicken wings – ready to serve. 
  • Note: The soy sauce and the cooking wine both normally have enough added salt, so no salt is needed.   

This is healthy and easy to make, with minimum frills and fancy. And mmm….I’m lovin’ it!

No comments: